Is this normal? please advise...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andreanar, Oct 16, 2014.

1. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    22 week old Brahma hen. I noticed her feet look puffy. No bumps or redness and she acts normally. She's my only Brahma and Im not sure if the breed normally has puffyish feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hmm... They sure are some pudgy feet, but that is normal for some breeds. Are you sure she's a purebred? Some Game fowl have incredibly thick legs and feet. I've had some hens with fat feet, some breeds were actually bred for it back in the days when chicken-foot soup was still a thing. I've also got some hens with skeletal looking feet, but it's just genetics.

Best wishes.

3. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    My Light Brahmas do have sort of pudgy feet. She must be a dark Brahma?

4. andreanar

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yes, she's a dark Brahma. I'll assume that she's ok then unless she shows any other signs.
    Fancy Pants
    [​IMG]

5. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The pudginess is well distributed, evenly, not obviously isolated to any area, it seems proportionate, so I think it is just genetic.

Interesting that she also has the lack of proper flank feathering I saw in the birds of a breeder near me recently, they were buff brahmas though --- is this absence of proper flank feathering common to the breed? Are you in Australia?

Best wishes.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. andreanar

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY

Im in N.Y.state. First time chicken mama, lol. What is this flank feathering that you mention? Can you point it out in a photo? Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Here's some other pics of hens showing the type of feathering I mean:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/BarnevelderTrio.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DominiqueHenSweetie.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silver-laced_Wyandotte_rooster.jpg

It's not some terrible fault, but I think it might be a problem for anyone intending to show birds, since breeders seem to discard or sell on animals with this trait rather than retain and breed them. Maybe a minor fault, I don't know, I don't show birds. Nothing to worry about anyway, as far as I know.

Best wishes.

8. andreanar

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I see. All my girls are hatchery. Like a lot of first timers, I had no idea of the differences from hatchery type and breeder type. I plan to get some Cochin, Orpington and Brahma from good breeder stock in the spring. I definitely love my girls, but also see the beauty of well bred hens!

9. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hmm, interesting, your girls are dead ringers for the ones I saw which were breeder-bred, i.e. by an enthusiast rather than a mass hatchery... Wonder how many generations out of a hatchery they were?

And your Brahma there is miles ahead of I think possibly even all other hatchery Brahma I've ever seen in terms of being bred close to breed standard, well, the little I know of it, anyway. Not bad for hatchery stock!

Best wishes.

10. andreanar

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thank you! I think she's beautiful. She's my favorite girl, so gentle and quiet. The hatchery I ordered from is local and I've since read a ton of bad reviews about them. Not about their bird quality but about them being dishonest and difficult to deal with. I won't go to them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by