1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is this Normal - please help(with pics)!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marybogue, Jul 31, 2010.

1. marybogue

marybogue In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    I have four chickens - golden comet, black sex link, and 2 RIR. My golden comet is a few weeks older than the others. She is around 18 weeks old. Three days ago, I found the first egg in the nesting box - it had a very slight crack. They eat Purina Layena and I offer oyster shells as well.

[​IMG]

The inside of the egg
    [​IMG]

The next day I was in the yard with my screaming toddlers(playing in the sprinkler) as she was in the run and had two separate laying events - first was what seemed like the egg white and then the egg yolk. Neither had a shell.

She laid this first
    [​IMG]

Then this
    [​IMG]

Today, on the third day, she did not lay an egg.

Is this normal? Advice, Ideas, suggestions and help all very welcomed - THANK YOU!

2. chaneg78

chaneg78 Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    It is pretty normal for newbies to lay soft shelled eggs and such. Give it some time before you get to worried. They will probably start laying normal ones soon

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. journey11

journey11 Songster

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    That's normal when young pullets are first coming into lay. It takes a little while for them to get their pipes working efficiently. I see a lot of "jelly eggs" (thin rubbery shells) dropped under the roost the first couple of weeks. No worries. You've put out oyster shell, so they'll take it as they need it. [​IMG]

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I had one girl who laid weird like that for a couple of months and will STILL give me a thin shelled egg once in a while. Like every said- it takes a bit for some hens to get everything coordinated inside.

6. marybogue

marybogue In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:This website is wonderful - thank you.

Thanks for all the replies - makes me feel better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: