1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal poo

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Leese13, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Leese13

Leese13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Help, strange awful looking poo. I have attached some photos of the offending poos. Sorry for anyone with a delicate stomach.
    I have two turkeys and a duck nesting at the moment. Also a male turkey and a chook all in a pen. I have narrowed it down to one of the female turkeys I think.
    Are these normal poos for turkeys nesting? I am not sure if it is a dietary, dehydration or a health issue. They only started this way about 2 weeks into them sitting on the nest. There are the splattered looking ones in the pen everyday when I go down there. Some days more than others. But the occasional day where there is none. The turkeys seem to look healthy enough and I have seen them eating and drinking. I have not changed their diet, maybe I was meant to. This is the first time I have had female turkeys so I am new to the nesting thing.
    I do have another two threads regarding the nesting issue with the turkeys and duck, if your interested reading them.

If you could help it would be much appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Brooding turkey hens don't eat nearly as much. They usually sneak off nest once a day to get some water, grab a few quick bites and stretch their legs (sometimes they'll go for a couple of days). Broody poop is usually `splashy'. Sometimes the poop will be bright yellow, this almost always indicates they scarfed one of the eggs that was determined to be `bad'. Other times one will find a broken egg at some distance from the nest, instead of eating the `bad' egg, the hen attempts to remove it as far away as possible from the nest (keep potential predators at a distance). Jenny carrying away egg (about 60 yds from nest): [​IMG] How old are your hens? What latitude are you close to? (how far N/S?).

3. Leese13

Leese13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Not sure how old they are sorry. This is the first round of eggs my hens have laid. We got them when they weren't very old.
    We are in Victoria, Australia, do the south/east of Australia. The weather is starting to warm up a bit here. So get the odd hot day (27 deg Cel) then a few cooler days (16 deg cel) but definately not cold cold.
    I have noticed an odd egg around (soft shelled or broken), just thought it may have caught them by surprise and layed it randomly! But what you said makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by