Is this normal reaction after a 3rd parvo shot?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I took my 5 month old english bulldog to the vet on Friday for her 3rd shot (parvo) and a dewormer. She usually lays around after getting her shots for a day or two then is back to normal. I also decided to increase her food intake which I schedule feed. The next day she was in my room and pooped on the floor. I've never seen her poop so much. It was like she was constipated but she had did her normal pooping and amounts up to that point. Everytime she has pooped after that is has been a small runny pile that is regular color. She also wouldn't eat some of her feedings or only a small amount. It isn't like her to pass up food even when not feeling good. Today I get up to feed and take her out and I put the bowl down and noticed she had just recently threw up in her crate. I don't know how she still had food in her belly since she didn't eat for her last feeding the day before so it had been since 5pm that she had ate last. She does throw up about twice a month usually from eating something outside or sometimes some dog treats will make her sick (probably allergy related). She just threw up again a little while ago. I have cut the food amount back down to what I was giving her before till after she gets over this. Should I call the vet or is she having a normal reaction? I have not seen any blood in the stool and her puke was normal. She has been pooping a little less probably from less food intake. She doesn't look or act dehydrated either so I doubt she has parvo. I didn't know if maybe since she didn't have her mother's immunity anymore now that she is older that it is causing more of a reaction. Should I hold back on giving her any food for a while and only offer water? She is sleeping a little more but she still acts the same when she is playing or trying to pull my arm off to get to the other dog that hates her.

Last edited:
I just took her outside for potty time and she pooped so waited till she was done to see if she had any blood. She actually pooped normal and not runny this time and I didn't see any blood.

I'm glad her poops are looking better ..

Remember, Parvo vaccines are not 100% and she only had 2 when she went into the vet.. I was initially concerned that she had come in contact with something at the vets office, but it seems she's feeling better?

Probably wouldn't hurt to call the vet and see if he can give her something (or recommend) something for her vomiting and diarrhea .. something to settle her stomach.

(Do you know if you got killed or modified-live parvo virus??)

By the evening yesterday it was like a snap of the fingers at how quickly she became her old self. She was running around playing, wanted to eat, was jumping onto the bed when she knows she isn't suppose to, and was still pooping normal. She ran around outside today playing and is now playing inside. I'm going to wait a day or two before increasing her food to what I wanted to increase it to.

When in doubt w/parvo, you could always have the vet run a parvo test. My puppy, Solomon, showed a "light positive" 3 days after receiving his 1st set of vaccines. He showed the same symptoms you've described, even running around and playing. The vet (a new, young one) thought he might have a blockage, and was ready to "open him up"(!) until the experienced vet suggested a parvo test....SHEESH!
roll.png
It was only $350 for the antibiotics and fluid therapy, as opposed to the $1200 + it would've cost for surgery!!!

Quote:
he should have showed positive 3 days after a vac..the vac ups the titers for a while,thats how the immune system works..I think you still got ripped off of $350..rest would have probably done the same thing as the drugs and fluid.

he should have showed positive 3 days after a vac..the vac ups the titers for a while,thats how the immune system works..

Lorie is right. I was just talking to a friend about this the other day. There was a vet around here ripping people off. People were buying vaccinated pups and taking them in for a well check. The vet was telling them the pups were testing positive for parvo....well they should have been, they were recently vaccinated. The vet didn't mention that, just treated the healthy pups for parvo.
barnie.gif

Getting back on topic. I'm glad your dog is feeling better. Worming and vaccinating on the same day can make them sick feeling. My vet would do a stool sample and give me medication if needed. But he told me to wait one week before giving it. He didn't want to do vaccinations and worming on the same day. Said it was too much for a pups system to deal with.​

When the have a bad belly feed them small amounts of cooked hamburger and rice. I use ground turkey cause it has less fat but if you use hamburger just make sure to drain and rinse it first.. Is very bland and their tummys will tolerate it better than their normal kibble. Also they love it and will think they are getting a treat. Sometimes I will make a batch just because my dogs love it so much, just dont give it all the time as it lacks the nutrition they need but for a few days til their tummy settles its fine.

Back
Top Bottom