1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal roo behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassyKat6181, Apr 30, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    The RIR roos are now 6 1/2 weeks old. I couldn't tell them apart from the pullets, but today noticed their combs and wattles turning redder and they are getting the green tail feathers. I also noticed them "scrapping".....chasing each other, chest bumping, staring one another down and I also saw one fluff all the feathers on his neck. Is this typical pecking order stuff among young roos? I don't plan to keep all of them, was hoping 1, as they were packing peanuts. I have 12 pullets their age and 12 laying hens that are 7 months. Do I need to pick one to keep and find homes for the others now, or can I wait a bit longer to see their personalities? I'd hate to give away the nice one and keep a jerk. Thanks!

2. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    anyone?

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    It just depends on the rooster. Some live well together, others fight all the time. I'd keep them for a while to decide which you want to keep as long as no major fights are breaking out. If it does, separate the one starting the fights until you choose which you are keeping.

4. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I sure hope someone answers you, as I have no idea. We are first timers here and have 10 almost 3 week old chicks and it seems that ALL of mine are doing those things. We're still waiting on combs and wattles. [​IMG]

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    RIR roos not being jerks? Sorry, mine all were....and there were 9....kept them till 20 weeks and they started fighting and it got ugly. Gathered up all but three roos and they were NOT the RIR's and off they went to freezer camp. Mine were hatchery and they say that makes a difference.

6. Myabcs3

Myabcs3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Vinland Valley, KS
    We have noticed both our hens and roosters partake in the chasing, playing and puffing. No worries normal behavior for now, and does help them establish pecking order. Just keep an eye on the roosters as they approach breeding age, they could get more aggressive with each other to establish who is the dominant or alpha male. I say this assuming you don't have an older rooster in your flock.

7. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    These 4 were sent as packing peanuts with my ducklings from Ideal.....totally not planned. I know for sure that 2 are RIR, but the other 2 are lighter in color, were as chicks too. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on them. They seem to just be challenging one another, I haven't seen any fighting. (yet)

8. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Quote:If you order from them in the future, call after you order and pay the $1.75 insurance so they do not include any packing peanuts in your box. I did. Bought 12, got 12. Less than $2, to avoid the headache of raising like 13 extra roosters was worth it to me! lol

9. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks....I didn't know they would include extras. I ordered from Welp last fall and only got what I ordered. After looking at pics on Ideals website, 2 are definitely RIR and the other 2 are either NHR or Production reds. Of these 3, which would you suggest keeping for being more friendly? I have a 3 yr old and 1 yr old and don't want to be attacked. Not really interested in breeding either.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Many times roosters which grew up together get along just fine. Both males and females do the same challenging things, especially as chicks. As others have said, it's establishing the pecking order.

I have MULTIPLE roosters and no fights. They all go through an obnoxious, testosterone-poisoned phase, and none of 'em are nice then, just horny and jumping anything that moves. If you can wait that out, to determine the one you wish to keep, I'd recommend that action.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by