Is this normal Roo behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blessedchickenmama7, May 29, 2008.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    This is my first attempt at chicken mommying and I have 11 chicks together, but not outside yet. The oldest two are Cuckoo Marans, almost 6 weeks old. The others are between 3-4 weeks and are Black Austalorp, Americauna, and 1 game mix. I think, think, think I might have 3 roos already. Anyway, the one definite roo is the 6 week old Maran. He's a beauty and real sweetie. But here's what he does: when I feed I always spend some time hand feeding them. The last two times, he will eat for a minute or two out of my hand along with everyone else. Then he just "squawks" but not really loudly. Everyone flees, literally, to a corner of the brooder, and lays down. Immediately. No one will come to me or eat out of my hand after that. It's like he's telling them all what to do. And they are listening. Isn't he too young for that? He doesn't crow or anything yet. And I don't see any aggressive behaviors from any of my chicks since the first day I put them together about two weeks ago. That only lasted a few minutes and it stopped.

Anyway, is this normal? All the chicks seem afraid when he does this. Is he gonna be a bully??? (I know you don't know yet... but I love him and can't bear the thought of having to stew him...)

Sonia

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Maybe he's alerting them to danger or something...?

Sometimes when a bird flies overhead, one of my boys will squawk really loud and all the other chicks will fling themselves under the nearest bushes and crouch down - pretty funny to watch when it's just a sparrow flying past or something [​IMG]
    Unless he's actually pecking at the other chicks, i'm not sure it's aggressive behaviour...? Hope somebody else can help [​IMG]

3. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Red,

Thanks! He's never pecked chick or human that I have seen. He's usually a sweetie! The only pecker I had was one of my smaller chicks, but as I said, that was only for a few minutes after I put them all together. Once she settled down, she no longer does it either.

But I am so hoping he turns out to be a good one. He, along with the little game mix chick, are my favorites. I love 'em all, but those two seem to like me a little, too.

Sonia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by