is this normal rooster behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sydney13, May 13, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i had to get rid of my rooster yesterday so when i brought him to my friends farm to put him in with her flock i was expecting the other roos their to go after him. he is a little silkie and the other rooster who were big guys but when i stuck him in the run the other chickens just looked at him and then went back to eating. is this normal that the roosters didn't even care that their was a new rooster? ive read in books to never introduce other rooster because they can kill each other but this definitely did not happen.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

At the risk of offending someone, perhaps the other rooster didn't realize the silkie was even a chicken, much less another roo..

[​IMG]

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:thats probably true [​IMG] because the hens sorta jumped at him but the roosters didn't and when i gave him a treat and he called the hens over like a normal roo the other roosters chased him away from it

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have seen this too. Chickens aren't that smart--but they'll figure it out when he crows. [​IMG]

6. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    In the future, it's safer (for the new chicken) if you put it in the chicken house at night. Chickens are not very bright. They will wake up in the morning, look at the new chicken, and go, oh yeah.....................I remember you? and go about their day.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OMG! I was thinking it and I'm so glad you said it instead of me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    I've wondered if "regular" chickens pick on silkies because of their "funny looks". Please don't take offense, I don't mean to be politically incorrect, I simply don't know another way to put it. I think silkies are beautiful chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by