Is this normal rooster/chicken behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have 9 chickens between 8-10 weeks old, 2 leghorn roos, 1 leghorn pullet, 3 ameracauna pullets and 3 Black Austerlorp pullets. I am trying to make them friendly and whenever I pick one up and hold it after I put it down the other chickens and sometimes only the roosters peck at the individual I just held. What is this all about? I want to tame them but don't want them to pick on each other when I hold one or the other. BTW it takes alot of coaxing and treats even get them to come near enough for me to pick them up.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Interesting that this behavior is happening that young. The roosters are welcoming the pullets back to the flock and reminding them that they are still boss, even if that big monster did hold them for a while. If they were older, it would not be that unusual for the rooster to mate with the hen to welcome her back and reestablish his dominance.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Agree.

Oh, yes, I've noticed that behavior in the yard and in the brooder, too. (Well, not the mating part in the brooder.) When the dominance pecking upon return happens in the brooder, I peck at the pecking cockerel(s) just once, to establish Oh No, You're Not - I Am The Boss!

How one pecks at chicks (or adult chickens for that matter): Put your forefinger and middle finger together and gently thunk the chick on the side or back of the head. For the adults, it's a little bit more forceful, but not a killer blow or anything. This is also how I train chickens not to peck at me when they eat from my hands. Or when I want to peck at a pecking hen who won't let another hen in to get hand fed treats.

5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:Thanks for the reply now I know that it is normal behavior and not some strange way to torture each other. I will try to peck back though because I do want the roosters to understand I run the hen house not them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by