Is this normal sprouting/foddering eating?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lissalischicks, Nov 9, 2019.

1. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Songster

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    So my girls only eat the seeds. They break off the green stalk and munch on the seed. Is this normal? I thought they were supposed to eat the green portion. I have tried alfalfa, black sunflower, wheatgrass, oats, barley and couple other seeds with ( what I feel is) no success. But is it normal?

2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    Chickens, like many children, are slow to try anything new. Keep offering. My flock loves some greens and sprouts; grass shoots of any kind, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

They don't like cauliflower, squash, egg plant, and peppers-green or otherwise.

3. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Songster

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
  4. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    Then stop and, maybe, try something else. Mine love dried mealworms and hard-boiled egg.

5. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Songster

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    They already get all that and then some but greens have different benefits. I was just wondering if what they were doing was normal or normally chickens eat the green and all.
    I always try it again during fall and winter because our grass dies and I try to get them to eat spouts or fodder.

6. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    Have you tried planting seed in a pot/container, let it get some height to it, then set the pot/container in with your birds. Oats and millet work well for this as does wild bird seed.

Papa John59 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: