Is this normal submissive behavior for a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chalynm, Nov 5, 2010.

1. chalynm

chalynm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    [​IMG]

We just got this roo today. After being introduced into the coop, he tiffed with the head hen for a bit, and then began to explore. When he met the coop kitten, though, he had a very surprising reaction. Chicken Boo wasn't aggressive at all, didn't hiss, growl, stalk, or pounce, just wanted to investigate. Lloyd, the roo, freaked, ran around the run for a bit, and when he realized that Boo wasn't going to stop following him, he put his head in the corner, like in the pic, but with his tail way up in the air and his butt totally exposed, and just stayed for a couple of minutes. The pic is actually about half an hour after the first incident.

This is our first flock, which arrived as chicks in June of this year, and our first roo. He does have an injured comb; maybe that has something to do with it? Or maybe he's just a pansy...[​IMG]

TIA for your help!

2. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    Sorry,can't give you an explanation for his behavior.But in the picture he looks like he is thinking"OMG, why me,WHY???????????" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh,I like your setup and the kitten is adorable.

3. chalynm

chalynm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    LOL Yeah, I wish I had gotten video of the first time when Boo was sniffing all over him. Kinda made me wonder if this is what men are like during a prostate exam...no offense, guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by