1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindyshocklee, Sep 25, 2015.

1. cindyshocklee

cindyshocklee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    This is my first year with chickens. I have 9 hens and 2 roosters. Some of the chickens have diarrhea. Just normal brown color. For some reason those green flies are all over it and swarm the chicken yard. I didn't know if that was normal or not. Didn't know if that could be a sign of something. Maybe worms or something. I have searched the forum and can't seem to find the answer. Only people talking about having green diarrhea. Thanks for your help!!

Cindy

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Diarrhea can stem from a lot of things from their diet, sudden changes in the diet, outdoor temperature, stress, illness, worms, etc....

Have you wormed them at all this year? If they are out free ranging for much of the day, I would suspect worms could be a possibility.

Give them all an exam for any mites or lice as well. These bugs can be draining on the birds.

They may have picked up some bacteria, although usually when they have intestinal bacteria's the poop can sometimes be green.

Maybe someone else will chime in here with more ideas for you.

Good luck and I hope you can get this figured out!

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    @cindyshocklee , welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of the poop?

-Kathy

4. cindyshocklee

Mar 15, 2015
    Let me see if I can go find some for a picture. No I have not wormed them. Is that something you put in their water?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Wormer works best when given orally.

-Kathy

6. cindyshocklee

Mar 15, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. cindyshocklee

Mar 15, 2015
    I guess I can get wormer at the feed store? Should you worm them every year?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    I use Safeguard liquid for goats and I give about 0.23ml per pound orally for five consecutive days.

-Kathy

9. cindyshocklee

Mar 15, 2015
    So how do you tell if they have worms and how often do you treat them?

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You know, what you are seeing might not be signs of anything except a normal digestive system. Cecal poops tend to be very loose or runny, a brown color, and flies love them because they stink - to the moon and back. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by