1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlechick2000, May 23, 2016.

1. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    i have a cuckoo maran who is quite fat. There's a bit of fat that sags off her chest and it's bigger than any other chickens I've ever seen. I just need to make sure this is ok.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Can you post a picture

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    What you described as her chest is her crop. It is her stomach. Can you feel what's inside? Is it hard? Sandy textured? Fluid? Empty? (I doubt it's empty if sagging...) ive had a few like this and I think it has something to do with blockage in the digestive system. Its like the crop builds up till eventual... um... death...
    Maybe someone else could!D say a cure, but I really don't know. Id suggest feeding some yogurt or something to help with digestion :)

4. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]this is trouble. I felt it and it feels like of like fluid. It's not sandy feeling
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Id rub it for a while and see if she can digest anything.
    Did you try any yogurt? That might help... I wish I could tell you more, but I'm still researching this myself :(

6. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ok I will try both of those later. Thank you for the advice. The only problem I'll have is trying to give her the yogurt with 9 other chickens in the pen[​IMG]

7. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    lol. Yeah... I'm sure it wouldn't hurt them to have a little too though :p

8. FunOnABun

FunOnABun Out Of The Brooder

You may be dealing with sour crop...smell around her face/beak (very closely) to see if you can detect any kind of odor. How old is she? I thought one of my girls had sour crop last year when she had a huge, squishy (liquidy) crop and was acting strange, but she was just on the verge of laying her first egg and had too much water to drink...

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unless the crop is pendulous in the morning, after fasting all night, you don't have a problem. Have you checked her in the morning? Be sure to take feed away in the evening, and then check the following morning. Sometimes people get worried about their birds b/c they are not familiar with normal anatomy and physiology of the species! Some birds are just naturally more piggish, and load their crops more than others. My birds all look like that at the end of the day when the pickin's are good!

10. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    I will check for sour crop when I get home and I'll check her in the morning tomorrow. She's only 10 weeks old starting tomorrow. I just haven't ever had a chicken have this problem and I've never had a maran before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by