Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilcowmama, May 25, 2016.

1. lilcowmama

lilcowmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just picked up this 4 week old lavender Orpington from a local breeder. She has a large bald spot over her back and neck. She looks like a little vulture! Lol The other chicks the breeder had didn't seem to have this, so I'm wondering if she was being picked on, or could it be mites or something that I need to treat? Help!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    She looks like a Necked nake mix.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is a cutie. She is probably just slow to grow in her feathers. I raised some old line RIR' s a couple of years ago, and a few of them had very sparse feathers on their shoulders. She really has a long neck, doesn't she? You may want to watch them just in case the others could be pecking, but the feathers should be all grown in within the next couple of weeks.

4. lilcowmama

Apr 9, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA

Haha, she does! [​IMG] She shouldn't be though. The breeder only had Orpingtons.

5. lilcowmama

Apr 9, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thanks! She has very kind eyes. Yes, she does have a long neck! LOL It could be the angle I was taking the photos at too. I will keep an eye on her and post an update in a couple of weeks. I just don't want it to be mites or something like that. I guess the other chicks she was with would have shown signs... Thank you for your input! [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You should be seeing evidence of mites or lice. Both are very tiny, and lay eggs. Mites leave dark brown specks, while lice leave little white balls at the base of feathers. Some mites only come out at night.

1 person likes this.
  7. lilcowmama

Apr 9, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her feathers are starting to come in. I can't see any signs of mites/lice, so I guess that's good! :)

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is so sweet. I would love to see more pictures of her as she grows. I love her little long neck--maybe she is part swan, LOL.

9. lilcowmama

Apr 9, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thanks, Eggcessive! I will post more soon! She's a funny one! :)

10. lilcowmama

Apr 9, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA
    Here are a couple updated pics! She's feathering out nicely! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by