Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by M EGG, Nov 9, 2016.

1. M EGG

M EGG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    NJ
    [​IMG]
    My 8 1/2 mo old Cornish cross hen has something going on...about 2 months ago switched her feed to Scratch & Peck's layer & 2 1/2 wks ago applied pet amour plus for northern fowl mites. The feathers have been trimmed for months now to prevent caking. Her last egg laid was oct 25. In the 12 o'clock position in the photo is whitish fluid/feces & the area in question is the reddish bulbous protrusion below it(almost egg shaped). She does have normal feces throughout the day. Last night she didn't eat much except some cracked corn & grubs & she ate just a bit more this am of the layer feed & picked only a bit on dinner.

My ?s...she was laying every 2-3 days. After the insecticide drops were applied(she laid normally up until the 3rd dose(a rescue group mentioned they followed a protocol of 3 treatments 3 days apart due to persistent infestation-which is what we had) so her eggs were always light brown & the last one was bigger & oblong & almost white. My concern is with toxic build up. Does this sound like a health issue? Is the reddish protrusion an egg?

Thank you if you care to share your experience.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

You do not keep cornish crosses past 10 weeks max. They get sevear health problems and can break their legs because they get SO fat, SO fast. For what I've seen of cornish crosses, the messy butt is pretty (sadly) normal.
    If she hasn't laid an egg for awhile, she could be laying internally. I have had two girls die from it, and it was a slow, drawn-out death. If she isn't eating much, and since cornish crosses don't usually live this long, she probably is. I would send her to heaven now, before it gets really bad.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Unfortunately I agree with the previous poster. They aren't meant to live long - they have explosive growth very early and it outpaces their organs and bone structure. Usually they die of strokes/heart attacks. Their legs usually give out from the heavy load of their bodies. If you raise them from chicks with reduced feeding and get them to free range & exercise, they can live some what longer. But that regimen would be of no use to her now.

4. M EGG

M EGG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    NJ
    Thank you for your time in responding. I should have stated that she doesn't appear to be in an emergency situation, there are a few other variables to factor in. Yes, I am aware of their health issues which is why they have been on restricted diets & receive daily exercise. She has full quality of life....so no need to end it!! I wish people wouldn't be so quick to say that of this breed. There are several rescues that I know of who have them live 2+ yrs. I was mainly looking for feedback on the reddish protrusion under the cloaca. Thank you again for your time!

5. PeepersMama

Hmmm... Getting those mites dealt with would be my first step for helping her. Is she living with other birds,or is she alone? If she is getting picked on that could be causing it. The bare skin is probably red because of irritation due to either mites or picking.
    Her vent could be swollen simply because of the particularly lagre size of her breed. As long as she is acting normally, just getting rid of the bugs would be my top priority.
    I think it's kinda cool that you are taking care of a cornish x like this. The people across the street from us kept a bunch of them not knowing what they were typically used for, and since they free-ranged for a good deal of their food, they all thrived until a random cold snap.
    Good luck with her ! [​IMG]

6. M EGG

M EGG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    NJ
    Thank you, PeepersMama. I appreciate your help. I agree it may be her larger size since the mites are finally gone. I've had them since they were 2 weeks old & wasn't sure of their breed. They are doing well though & again thank you for your time.

7. PeepersMama

Yeah, no problem [​IMG] Sorry if I came across as harsh at first. I figured that you knew the risks, but you know by now how crazy/ignorant some people can be - my neighbors, for instance [​IMG] I hope she has an awesome life [​IMG]

8. M EGG

M EGG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    NJ
    PeeprsMama- No apology necessary! I am quick to defend, to be their voice. Thanks again for your input![​IMG]

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It looks like it could be ascites or internal laying to me or possibly a tumour. Does it feel like it is full of fluid or is it hard? Internal laying can go on for months until infection sets in and that's when they go down hill quite fast. Ascites (water belly) can be drained with a large gauge needle. If it isn't drained it puts pressure on the heart and lungs and digestive tract. Again it can go on for months without too much problem apart from soiling of the feathers below due to the position of the vent changing slightly, meaning that faeces no longer drop clear. It may also cause her to start walking oddly as it pushes her hips outwards. It will usually get to such a size that their system can no longer cope with the pressure of it and heart failure or even rupture can occur....Sadly I speak from experience here!
    Let's hope it is ascites and you can drain it.

Good luck with her

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  10. M EGG

M EGG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    NJ
    It feels spongy. How do hens stop laying for the winter? Can it happen abruptly? If one of the 2 roosters mated with her how long would it take from mating to giving birth? 3wks? Could this be a sign of pregnancy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by