Is this normal?

callumandrose

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Stockport, England
Hello kind folk!

We collected our first ex battery hens yesterday. They seem ok, eating and drinking and exploring. We even got an egg this morning!

One thing I am worried about is there poop/ discharge. It's wet, appears clear at first but turns a milky white.. see photo.

Can anyone advise on what may be causing this?

Might it be down to stress? It's probably been a scary 48 hours for them!

Many thanks,
Callum and Rose

Hello kind folk!

We collected our first ex battery hens yesterday. They seem ok, eating and drinking and exploring. We even got an egg this morning!

One thing I am worried about is there poop/ discharge. It's wet, appears clear at first but turns a milky white.. see photo.

Can anyone advise on what may be causing this?

Might it be down to stress? It's probably been a scary 48 hours for them!

Many thanks,
Callum and Rose

If you changed them from a cage to the yard and they get to eat some grass etc all at one time----it would probably upset their stomach.

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

It could be from stress, since you just got them. They have had a big change in their life. Make a source of grit (crushed granite) available free choice, as well as their normal feed and oyster shell free choice. Let them get acclimated.

If it continues, then you will need to investigate further - taking a fecal sample to your vet for testing would be your next step.

Keep us posted.

Hi :) it's lots of fun rescuing hens. Last year I got My first 10 who were caged ex battery and are lovely. I actually bathed one on Sunday and blow dried her she loved it and held her wings up for me :) good luck and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom