Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Farm Frenzy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I have three baby silkies that I hatched and I thought 2 were black, and 1 partridge. But now I see that they are getting their feathers, one of the black ones feathers are coming in RED??? I don't get it...does this sometimes happen? First time hatcher, it might be a dumb question but inquiring minds NEED to know.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Sorry those are two bad pics, but I took them fast, I wanted you to be able to see it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh yeah, don't worry. Baby feathers and teen feathers can be way different than mature adult feathers.

Baby RIR's grow out speckled and striped red black and white feathers, but grow up to be all red. I've had black chicks grow up into black bodied with white flecks or even as much as red and white hackles. In a group of all black silkie chicks, ended up with a bunch of grey and red freckled roosters.

So it's normal, and any mix will be a mixed color bag too!

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    They sure are cute. And that's true what silkiechicken said about RIR's.

5. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Well that's good to know..thanks guys. I thought I had a freakshow on my hands.[​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Are they full silkie chicks ? Where did you get the eggs ?

7. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I ordered them from ebay. They look like silkies, I mean they have the extra toe and all, it's just that I wasn't expecting to have red feathers come from a black chick, it freaked me out. Maybe red feathers from a yellow chick, or a brown chick even, but black?? It's feet are black...everything is black, but now we have RED feathers. not that there is a problem with red, I just didn't know if that was the norm for silkies, these being my first....and I LOVE them!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by