Is this normal

Tmcfarland

Songster
May 5, 2022
My 12 little fluff balls aren’t such little fluff balls anymore! Not 💯 sure but they’re about I’m thinking 5 weeks ish. Is it normal for them to start looking like the pics of one of my chicks that I posted? I’ve had chickens before but inherited them when they had already gone through their awkward stage. They aren’t acting any different. Still eating, drinking, & happily chirping when they see me or my kids. I’m probably overly worried for nothing. Anyone who can hopefully put my crazy chicken mama mind at ease I’d appreciate it.

Attachments

• 135F93F2-7CA6-48B2-B35A-CCAFDAB7CE7E.jpeg
    135F93F2-7CA6-48B2-B35A-CCAFDAB7CE7E.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 7
  • E2BE1ED7-7686-4C7E-BFF3-B35EFB27DD21.jpeg
    E2BE1ED7-7686-4C7E-BFF3-B35EFB27DD21.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 5
It looks completely normal to me. They've got their pretty little feathers coming in. It can look odd since their feathers generally come in patches, instead of everywhere at once like you might expect.
Thank you! I know they have that awkward stage but I’ve never seen it so I started freaking out. Lol Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

This is about what my chicks looked like for weeks 3-5 or so (unsure how old they were at the store), but yea, they look a bit rough when their feathers are coming in. Also, they will be picking at themselves quite a lot as that old itchy down falls off.

If you want extra reassurance on this, post the feed you are giving. It's very likely fine as long as it is starter or flockraiser, but higher protein feeds can help them through these awkward teenager phases a bit faster.

This is about what my chicks looked like for weeks 3-5 or so (unsure how old they were at the store), but yea, they look a bit rough when their feathers are coming in. Also, they will be picking at themselves quite a lot as that old itchy down falls off.

If you want extra reassurance on this, post the feed you are giving. It's very likely fine as long as it is starter or flockraiser, but higher protein feeds can help them through these awkward teenager phases a bit faster.
They have dumor starter chick feed 20%. I got it at TSC when I got my fluff balls. Thanks for giving me more reassurance! I’m sure I’m just being overly worried but I’d hate to have something happen to the chicks. My kids are overly attached to them.

They have dumor starter chick feed 20%. I got it at TSC when I got my fluff balls. Thanks for giving me more reassurance! I’m sure I’m just being overly worried but I’d hate to have something happen to the chicks. My kids are overly attached to them.
Yea, these chicks are on a really good track with that feed. I raised mine on 18% and they did well. Your 20% should raise them to be big and strong in no time!

Only other suggestion is to take LOTS of pictures. They grow up insanely fast. You will blink one day and find that you are looking at full grown hens.

Yea, these chicks are on a really good track with that feed. I raised mine on 18% and they did well. Your 20% should raise them to be big and strong in no time!

Only other suggestion is to take LOTS of pictures. They grow up insanely fast. You will blink one day and find that you are looking at full grown hens.
We are ALWAYS taking pictures! Sometimes I feel like it’s to many & people will get tired of them but they’ve more than doubled in size over the past 2 1/2 weeks we’ve had them.

Mine are kinda like that. They are still working on their wings but they are getting the top part of their wings and have a bunch of fluff still. Sorry I really don’t know technical terms, newbie.

Back
Top Bottom