Is this normal...???

Kanekoded

Songster
Oct 11, 2022
Wisconsin
My 6 month old, 4 lb Golden Comet just laid an egg that's larger than a duck egg, she has only been laying for a little over a month. This is the first time in my entire life that I have ever seen a chicken egg this big. Should I be worried?

I have it next to a normal sized egg that she laid the day before.

huge_egg1.jpg
huge_egg2.jpg

My 6 month old, 4 lb Golden Comet just laid an egg that's larger than a duck egg, she has only been laying for a little over a month. This is the first time in my entire life that I have ever seen a chicken egg this big. Should I be worried?

View attachment 3305786View attachment 3305789
All I can say is…ouch!

View attachment 3305786View attachment 3305789
let’s see what’s inside.

That's totally normal for a newly laying pullet. There will be some wonky shaped eggs, some that have no yoke, and maybe even some with two yokes. The chickens body is still getting used to laying so you are going to see eggs like this. I know one of my girls a sex link, layed either 3 or 4 double yoked in less than a few months and some eggs that were super tiny with no yoke! She is now 1 and a half years old and lays normal sized eggs. So don't worry if you see some funky eggs from newly laying pullets. 😊

Back
Top Bottom