Is this normal?

Melgug

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
All 3 of my Wyandotte 8 weeks old have bald spots on their backs. I thought maybe it’s just their adult feathers still need to come in, but not sure & wanted to check what y’all think. None of my other birds have the bald spots.
Also there is one Wyandotte who is significantly smaller than the others. (Second pic) Any tips to help her grow? Trying to give her extra love and attention and snacks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    915.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 2
Is there one chick without the bald spot? If so, that chick may be the cause of the bald spots on the others. Feather picking doesn't usually begin so young, but the cause of feather picking can be individual obsessive compulsive wiring in the brain and might occur early.

You need to find time in the afternoon, that's when feather picking peeks, and be sure that this is the cause. Another cause is depluming mites. That would require a treatment with Ivermectin.

Is there one chick without the bald spot? If so, that chick may be the cause of the bald spots on the others. Feather picking doesn't usually begin so young, but the cause of feather picking can be individual obsessive compulsive wiring in the brain and might occur early.

You need to find time in the afternoon, that's when feather picking peeks, and be sure that this is the cause. Another cause is depluming mites. That would require a treatment with Ivermectin.
Only 3 out of 8 chicks have the spots. And the ones that have are all the same breed. I’ll keep a close eye on them this afternoon and see if I can observe anything more. But I’ve watched them and none seem to really peck each other besides the occasional random little peck. Thanks for your input!

It can be from one of their frequent juvenile molts. Some chicks can develop bare spots or at least very thin coverage during these mini-molts. But do watch their behavior. If you have picking going on, it's good to know.

It can be from one of their frequent juvenile molts. Some chicks can develop bare spots or at least very thin coverage during these mini-molts. But do watch their behavior. If you have picking going on, it's good to know.
I truly think it’s just their adult feathers still coming in but wanted to check with more experienced chicken parents! Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it!!!

Back
Top Bottom