Is this normal????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashley12, May 11, 2009.

1. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    OK I got 2 Buff Cochin hens 11 days ago. They didn't lay for a week. Thursday, I finally got 1 egg, then nothing........until today. I checked last night before I went to bed and there were no eggs. This morning I went out to check and there was 11 eggs!!!!! I have 3 nest boxes and there were eggs in all three. The one egg I got on Thursday was small, but these eggs are huge! My Cochin hens are very small. This is crazy. I only have the 2 hens, so I know there is no fowl play. Is this normal????

2. ashley12

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    Here is a pic. They are all different sizes and colors. This seems pretty amazing to me. I dunno, maybe this is normal.

[​IMG]

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:Pun intended??

Seriously, if these 2 girls laid 11 eggs in 1 day I think you may have a world record there. Is there any way they could have hidden the eggs so you didn't see then when you checked before?

4. ashley12

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    There is no way they hid the eggs. I checked everywhere when I went in the coop. They are in the nest boxes as we speak. I might have more eggs in just a few minutes.

5. *GEL*

*GEL* Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Indiana
    Somebody is messing with you........do you have a husband, boyfriend, teenage son, neighbors, etc around that know you are wanting eggs.....like right now? I think someone put them in the nests so you would find them and think the 2 girls did it.....lol. I just cannot imagine that 2 hens laid 11 eggs in 24 hours. I don't think it's possible...... [​IMG]

6. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow that is wierd! I agree though, it sounds like someone is messing with you. If I was you I would make sure the eggs are edible before eating them (like dump them in a bowl and sniff to make sure they weren't bad) 'cause you never know why someone would do it...

Then again I may be picking up my sisters paranoia!

7. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Oooo oooo!! I just thought of something (forgive me please I'm a little crazy right now)! If you think it might be someone in your family or someone you know who's doing it, tell them about these amazing hens and be really excited and act like you really believe they laid all those eggs in one day. If you play your part well enough they will think you've gone coo-coo, believe you, or start laughing!!

Edit: Be sure to watch their face and have a camera ready!

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by