is this normal???????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wjallen05, Dec 13, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I just bought three baby chicks from someone, (we were there looking at his calves and he had tons of game chickens and I've been wanting some forever, and all he had were three chicks so of course I had to get those) They all looked healthy to me but after bringing them home I notice they have big tumor like knots on their chest area which is short of like after an (adult) chicken eats and it is full and you can feel the feed in there (*edit* their crops, thank you). Only this is soft and squishy like (also it is more on the right side and it's the same on all three chicks) and I don't ever recall any of my chicks being this way. I have two day old chicks (who they are NOT with! they are in a separate brooder) who do not have this. Is this normal or is it a breed characteristic or what??? I am really worried about it.
    Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Sounds like they have full crops. You'll want to check them in the morning. The crops should go down overnight as they digest their food. Perhaps crops are more noticeable on game chickens since they are generally thinner than the heavy breeds?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes, it's probably quite normal. As Tipsey said, check them first thing in the morning, before they've had a chance to eat, and the area should be smaller. I worried about the same thing when my girls were tiny, and it was just a full crop.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I don't think you need to worry.

5. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    okay thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by