IS THIS NORMAL???????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justino, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    my 3 6 day old silkes shake when i take them out.....theyre not cold because theyre in my warm hands.....they also chirp real loud calling for the others.....why do they do this? is this normal for silkies? [​IMG]

2. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    i am now afraid that when i take them out that there is like something wrong with them [​IMG]

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I don't know if it is normal for silkes, but I have noticed that my chicks do the same thing when I pick them up. I have ee's and rir's.

4. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    ya my chicks do it to

5. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:they shake?

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    When I would have chicks in the house they never made noise when I handled them, but they did when Mom handled them. She has cold hands. My body temp runs a little high at 101. Chicks always snuggle into my hands.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

7. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:so do mine but theyre attatched to the other 2 silkies.... [​IMG] how do i make them more friendly? i hatched these for pets so i want them to be attatched to ME not the others.... [​IMG]

8. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:so you think its normal

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    how do i make them more friendly? i hatched these for pets so i want them to be attatched to ME not the others

Alot of handling. Also, try getting them to eat off your hand/fingers. At 2 weeks old I start giving treats of mealworms. I raise the mealworms specifically for the chickens, so I usually have plenty. I love watching a chick grab a worm and then take off running around the brooder while the others give chase. The one with the worm is NEVER quiet about it, so all will know it has something.

Matt
    Morganton, NC​

10. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:so you think its normal

yes I think it is normal. You need to spend "alote" of time with them so they will get used to you. I am still working on that with mine. Some are very calm and sweet, while others scream when I pick them up and they act like they are freezing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by