Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by enggass, May 12, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    My chicks are 1 week old - 3BR/3RIR. Sometimes they will spaz out and chase each other around even flapping their wings and flying a little. I think they are having fun... It only happens for a few minutes at a time and not all the time. Just curious if this is normal behavior. Also, I have tried giving them some mashed up hard boiled egg as a treat, but they show no interest. They are chowing their own food and drinking plenty of water so I know they are fine. Growing like weeds as well.

Steve

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    yep it's normal! They're learning how to move, react, stop, go, run, flop, get up, fly, play.....It almost looks like they're trying to learn everything at once! LOL! [​IMG]

Mine wouldn't touch still treats for several weeks... it was the crickets and meal worms that got them excited!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Yes!!! Aren't they better than television?!? I could sit there and watch them for hours when they were babies. I STILL love sitting outside and watching mine as 9 mo. olds, taking them for walks, etc. All is perfectly normal. Now, mine did love egg when they were little; I would hand them little chopped up pieces. But they will eventually adore egg. Mine wanted nothing to do with cooked oatmeal or yogurt (not cooked...lol) when they were younger, but they love both now. Enjoy them!! They grow up so quickly... [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Don't be disappointed if they don't run over and start eating treat like egg immediately. Leave it in there with them for awhile. They have to get over their fear of new things before they'll try it.

5. dogsNchicks

dogsNchicks New Egg

May 12, 2010
    NC
    Mine do the same, QUITE entertaining...

**off to look up tastey treats for them...

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I still think the funniest thing is how they will all be settling down to sleep, and one will walk through the bunch waking them all up... Then the walker will settle with the rest and another different one will be the disrupter. After a couple go rounds of this they all will settle. Hilarious...

7. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes this is all normal..................... but wait there is more there is the chest bumping that is a show in it's self it is their way to figure out who is leader in the pecking order Oh and let us not forget the dreaded staring contest where one stares the other down to submission and the head raising contest to see who can raise there head higher... [​IMG] Chicken TV you gotta love it get a comfy chair some popcorn and enjoy the show it gets better I promise you that....As for the smashed up egg mine didn't take to it till they were 3 weeks old ad I mixed in some over their food with it but Make sure you always have grit for them when giving them treats..

Good luck and welcome to raising Chickens

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

And the Ninja jumps...some are great at this at a very early age. [​IMG]

Also think it is a hoot when they preen the one next to them on the roost. "Oh, honey, hold still, you got some poo on your head!" [​IMG]

9. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Oh, I also love when I take them outside to enjoy the weather and one will start to sunbathe, and inevitably as soon as they lay down and stretch out that wing, someone comes and steps on their head. Never fails, it happens every single time, lol.

10. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Quote:Okay...I REALLY want to know how you take your chickens on a walk!

PS. ours didn't like treats too much at that age either! Love'm now, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by