Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SkyStorm, May 13, 2010.

1. SkyStorm

SkyStorm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    I think my chicks are establishing a pecking order but I'm not sure so I need your guys opnion. I have 10 chicks who run around my um, yard? I took my porch and half of my yard off with temporary fence for my 2 week old chicks. Before you say something like "they need 80 degree's" or something like that I must inform you. Its from 80-90 degree's during the day were I live. They have shade and sun. Plus FULL acess to there brooder which has a heat lamp, food, water...ect. Anyway, I noticed that when they get around there cage, which is were they are locked in at night or when it's cold out, they start to fight. My sex link chicks mainly. Like they will jump up, hit each other and slash there feeties. They don't constantly fight but probably once every couple days or so (from what I see). I think they are just establishing there pecking order because I noticed the ones who run off are usually the ones who walk in the back of when they are walking around and foraging. Also, my little Laker (thats her name) is the one who leads them to safty under threat. If the neighbor dog barks then she leads them into cover. She is also the one who usually wins there little sparring matches. Did your chicks do this?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are just working out their places in the pecking order. Nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by