Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carladababe, May 13, 2011.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    My 11 week old chicks seem to like roosting across from the window side during the day when they are not outside in the run. They tend to face the center of the coop. At night they like the window end, but last night I noticed them facing into the corner. It started to storm heavily so I went to close the coop window. They looked ok and slept through my intrusion. We've had some crazy weather this last week. Mostly rain, then some 80 degree days with high humidity, now going to drop down into the 40's at night. Is this facing the wall of the coop at night normal? Weather related? Are they cold? Hot? Scared of the thunder and lighening?[​IMG]

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    This weather sure has been a mixed bag lately. Very frustrating, to say the least.
    My girls never sleep in the same spot or position on any given night. I do not think it is anything to be concerned about. [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have never once given thought to which direction mine are facing when they go to roost. It's not really anything to worry about.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

Chickens are weird creatures. 'Nuff said?

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

Chickens are weird creatures. 'Nuff said?

Weird to the Nth degree! That's why they are so entertaining!

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    we currently have a shelf that our three girls roost on and one may be behind the other two or they may be side by side facing into the coop or one might be facing toward the wall. . . they kind of mix it up! We're building a new coop that will have a more traditional roost board . . .they'll probably prefer to roost on the poop board. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by