Is this normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilyD, May 14, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay so I got home today and went right outside to check on the babies who are in a brooder in their coop. I was sitting with them and they were all swarming around me and that's when I noticed that a few of them were stretching their necks and opening their beak like they were yawning. They didn't seem sick at all. In fact they were all over me to itch their little chests because they are losing the last of their fuzz and getting really itchy because of it. Should I be worried or is this a totally normal behavior?

They are almost three weeks old (on Tuesday) and are eating Purina start and grow medicated crumbles have access to that and water 24/7 and are given treats of hard boiled eggs and occasionally other things such as oats, bananas or grass. We haven't gone much further into treats than that. They do have sand for grit and sand baths in their little area. The temp under their lights is running right between 90 and 80 and they have tons of room to get out of the light if they get hot so I don't think it's panting.

Has anyone every had chicks do this or should I be concerned that they might be getting sick?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Chickens yawn, yes.

Now there IS a problem called gapeworm where you see them yawning a LOT supposedly (I don't have experience with it).

But my chickens yawn every day. [​IMG]

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    There were two that seemed to be doing this repeatedly. They just opened their mouth and acted like they yawned but seem totally healthy otherwise. They were eating and drinking they just would open their mouth in between and stretch like we would if we yawned. It's the first time I have seen them do that. To their defense though it's about time when they bed down ( I was late getting home) and it's been raining since about 2 here and very dark.

4. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    If they do have gape worm would they be doing this all the time or just every once and a while?

Is it contagious to the other chickens?

What should I use to treat it?

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    They are adjusting their crop. The yawn and stretch moves the food in the crop. Its normal.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I learned something here, thanks!

8. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    If they are in a brooder and not outside in the grass, etc, it would not be gapeworm. That's something they pick up from eating worms, etc. And no, gapeworm isn't contageous, but they could all get it if they're eating things that have the gapeworm eggs in it.

9. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Okay cool I was hoping it was something normal. I picked her up when she started doing it and she seemed fine she checked to see if I had any treats hiding anywhere and then she snuggled down on me for a few minutes then jumped off to get food and drink.

They have had grass from outside just the other day but there was no dirt with it and no worms in it either.

Good to know that there is something normal that can cause it though.

Thanks

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There is very little chance that chicks in a brooder have been exposed to gapeworm. I also go with just adjusting their crops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by