Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sadiew, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Hi my Ducklings are about 5 -6weeks old now and I have noticed their wings are getting rather bald I can see they are growing their feathers in their tails etc and can feel ones popping up over their bodies, do the wings go a bit bald before feathers grow there? The skin is nice and healthy pink and no signs of injury, I am worried they will get sunburnt. This is my first time having ducks and they share my coop with chickens and they all seem to get on happy.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't really know if that's normal with domestic ducks, but I thought I would give you a bump so that others can see this post and maybe help you.

My experience with wild ducks is that this is not normal. Mostly, when they start to feather, they get really feathery on the upper wings, breast, and belly first. Their back is usually still fuzzy at that age. But, I've never seen baldness on a healthy duckling. Of course, other ducks (or the duckling itself) could be picking/scratching at it and it won't necessarily be bloody.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:When they finally start to develop the wings themselves grow at a high rate. the fuzz/feathers are farther apart so they do look a little bald the cover feathers really don;t start until the flight feathers are well started, Does this make sense to you?

4. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you Desertdarlene for bump:)
    Thank you Goosedragon for reply and yes making sense to me, thanks again.

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yes they do. I was so worried when my babies wings started to get bald. 2 weeks later she has all her feathers lol

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah it looks a bit worrisome that inbetween stage but they'll fill in..

7. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Oh thank you both so much you have put my mind at ease now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by