Is this normal????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 5, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    While trying to soak my RIR's feet in salt water she just laid down in the bowl after standing there for a minute. The water is pretty warm and she seems to be enjoying herself, but I just never herd of a chicken doing this. Anything????

2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok I finished soaking her legs cleaned off some of the soft stuff and I coated them with Petrolium jelly but while I was doing that she kept on making a low short sound. Was I hurting her? [​IMG] I'm not trying to, I want to help her! Yes this is Red that i'm talking about......

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My hens don't mind a soak at all. so she was probably just enjoying herself.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    If she was relaxed, then I think she was enjoying her spa day.

It's usually pretty obvious when they don't like something. I have a JG who had sour crop last week and doesn't like to be picked up or held. But I've been making a point to pick her up once a day and give her crop a good feel. She just tenses up all over and makes this gutteral BOOWWWKK BOOWWWWKK sound. Even my DH recognizes this sound and says to me, she doesn't like that!

Where as my Buff Orpington, just relaxes into my arms when I pick her up. She's just as relaxed and mellow as possible.

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks!! Does anyone know how often I should re-apply the petrolium jelly. And would it be best to keep her on some thing like say newspaper? So the petrolium jelly doesn't get all dirty?

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I sometimes have to give a hen a soak in the kitchen sink. They relax right into it. I can even leave the room and they just stay right there. Yeah, if they don't like something they'll just struggle so much they'll practically kill themselves. [​IMG] But just because a chicken doesn't like something doesn't mean you're hurting them.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    ok thanks I had to do another one of my hens also she didn't like being distrubed from her dust bath. And she struggled alot. But my question still stands should I keep them on newspaper?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by