Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rmh0508, Aug 20, 2011.

1. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    ok so last night (day 18) I took my eggs out of the turner (one had already pipped) and put them in lockdown. now tonight 2 have hatched but there is a bunch of mess in there, one is tiny and the other is big but to me it looks to be bloated maybe and it is laying on its back in the bator. They are about 3 hrs old now. I have a pick but I don't know how to post it, could somebody help me out in that area too please?
    Thanks, Marcy

2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I'm new at this, but if you have a brooder ready maybe you should take the "bloated" chick out to keep a better eye on it??? I had to nurse one that was like that, I think it's the yolk that it still needs to absorb? Mine is up and running
    Ayda
    Good Luck

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Just leave it. They sleep like that, it looks like they are dead. Shine a light on it and it should wake him. Better for unhatched eggs. Good Luck. Michele

4. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Thank you both for the replies. I now have 3 babies born so I am going to have to play with my temps a little more since this was day 19 and 20. One of the eggs had a lot of "left overs" in it and made a huge mess in the bator is that because it hatched early?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by