is this normal??

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
i have 2 four week old scovy ducklings. they are on unmedicated chick starter. i take them out every day to play and hang out with me. i've noticed though that when they're out with me their poop has a very distinct nasty odor and is all watery and is a very dark greenish black color. however after a while it starts to look like normal bird poop (more solid and normal colored). they seem and act completely normal and healthy though. why is this and is it normal? could it be because they're really excited? they do get really excited and happy when i take them out. i just want to make sure this isn't something i should worry or do something about.

Any thoughts
hu.gif

I have 2 buff/orpington ducks (Drake and a hen)
They do this on occasion
Allthough Im not sure if it normal or not...
Mine are 21 weeks old..
Im sorry I couldnt be of more help to you but this will bump your thread up a bit.
smile.png

I have Anconas. They have the same issue. The breeder I got my second two from said that every 7th poo or so is just gross.
I am not sure why, but I think it has to do with the amount of water they drink, the roughage they get foraging, etc.
It sounds like normal duckiness to me.
smile.png

Good thing they are so cute and fun to have around (and good at getting rid of Japanese beetles) cause they can be pretty gross.

My runners occasionally make a real rank pile. And when they were younger, they'd "make a stink" when I gathered them all in the crate we used to carry them from the house to the yard (before we were all set up for outdoor living for the ducks - the thought of walking them across my MIL's oriental rug . . . well . . . )

Back
Top Bottom