Is this normal?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tealeaf33, Oct 1, 2011.

1. tealeaf33

tealeaf33 New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    I am a new flock owner and have been getting eggs from 5 of my 7 girls for a couple of months. One is too young so I am not concerned about her, but I have a beautiful Americauna named Loretta Lynn that still has not laid her first egg! Her "sister" Dolly Parton was the first to lay in the group and has been laying for a couple of months now. Loretta is the only one that has not produced an egg. She also likes to sleep away from the other chickens. She has always done this but runs around with the flock during the day so I can't say she is too much of a loner. Just when they go to the hen house at night, she stays off by herself while everyone else gets on their roosts. I have a RR rooster that is large and in charge and a young blue copper maran roo that just hangs with his girl. Everyone seems to get along really well so I do not know what the problem is with Loretta! Any ideas?

2. NaturalCharm81

NaturalCharm81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I have 5 Americanas that have yet to lay and they are 23wks...sigh and they are healthy and vibrant I don't understand....

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yep, generally, they lay when they get ready to lay. I have one now that is just gorgeous but I swear she's NEVER going to lay an egg! Almost 8 months old while her sister has been laying for 6 weeks.

4. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    She should be fine just give her a while. She may just not want to be with the other chickens.......

5. tealeaf33

tealeaf33 New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    I had one person tell me that if she doesn't start laying I should make chicken soup! NO! I may be insane but I cannot imagine eating any of my chickens, I never would have thought that we would get attached to chickens! Who knew they had such unique personalities???? Love my birds!!!
    Thanks for the support, I will keep an eye on her and hopefully she will start laying soon~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by