Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minpinmama, Mar 30, 2012.

1. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Is hearing chirping a day or two before hatching normal? It started last night (day 19) and tomorrow is day 21,
    I'm surprised to hear it so well and so often and no one has even pipped yet.

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Yes it means the baby has internally pipped:D. You might have a baby today.... Ive had 1 that chirped on day 19 and hatched day 21. Good luck to you...:)

3. minpinmama

Dec 24, 2010
    Thank you, Just was heading to bed, after midnight here, went to check on the eggs and the temp and three are pipping now!!!
    It's so exciting I don't even want to go to bed now. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve night [​IMG]
    These are Black Copper Marans from two different breeders, next week come the Light Sussex.
    I'm just so awake now and excited.

4. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    I once stayed up all night watching this tiny little hole that never got any bigger lol... Soon as your backs turned they decide to pop out.:lol: Ive got BCM 10 weeks old now and they make the sweetest noise ever. They love a cuddle too.. Keep us posted...

5. minpinmama

Dec 24, 2010
    We are now the proud family of a baby Black Copper Maran chick who is really chirping up a storm.[​IMG]
    Noisy little stinker, and it's 1 am. I imagine I won't be going to bed now, 4 more are trying to hatch, getting harder to see in there
    now that one hatched the humidity jumped from 70% to 80% and the windows are fogging up so will stay up and keep tabs on the temp and humidity.

6. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Yey congrats... I dont think i would be going to bed either.. Its 9.25am here so im ok lol...when they hatch they chirp so loud till they eventually ware them selves out and go to sleep.. Hopefully it will play football/soccer with the other eggs and spur them to hatch quicker:lol:

7. minpinmama

Dec 24, 2010
    Funny you should say that cause the little stinker is all over the incubator just chirping like he's lost or lonely.
    Hopefully another will be out soon to keep it company. Everyone is asleep and here I am sitting near the bator on the pc smiling like a Cheshire cat [​IMG]

My 3 and 8 y/o granddaughers wanted me to wake her if any hatched, I can't seem to stir her she is so sound asleep.
    Thankfully there are 25 or so more to go so some will most likely be hatching in the morning when the girls awake.
    I imagine they will be like this -------[​IMG] in the morning lol
    How long should they stay in the incubator before I put them in a brooder type area?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    They can stay in the incubater for up to 36 hours. Im really naughty and get mine out after about 6hrs. They wont eat or drink for 24hrs anyway so you might as well leave them there.. When you do get a couple out be really quick incase you shrink wrap your otheres. Its never happend to me mind...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by