1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimmypie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    This chick is 7-ish weeks old, they are outside in the coop. The weather has been in the 50's during the day and the 40's at night. She is the only chick doing this. They have all been on medicated starter since I got them (and I assume at the feed store too). She seems to be eating and drinking when I've observed her. I haven't seen any abnormal poop in the coop either.

[​IMG]

2. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Anyone?

3. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I checked on them tonight and she is still like this. She's not being as active as the others but she did move around and eat while I watched. I visually inspected her and didn't notice anything abnormal. Should I add vitamins to the water? Medicine for the whole flock for ???

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    She is not a happy little chicken. I would start them on corrid for coccidia..that's what she looks like she has to me. They can get coccidia even if they are on medicated feed. You can get corrid at tsc or other feed stores. Start as soon as you can, coccidia can and does kill chicks. Good luck and keep us posted on how she is doing!

You may want to provide her with some warmth until she starts feeling better.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    she looks like she's in pain the way she's hunched & fluffed. maybe she's had an injury that isn't readily apparent. my 8 wk chick that my hubby rescued from my dogs mouth looked like that for a few days. i put a heat light on her for a few days, (treated her wounds - which you don't have) & made sure the water & feed was easy for her to get to. that was about it.
    good luck with her.

6. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    So Corrid, is it by the chicken stuff? How much do I give? I have a total of 11 birds right now (which will be thinned to 7 next week) so I treat them all? Do I give anything with the corrid (vitamins, etc)?

ETA: I will go to our local feed store in the morning as soon as I drop my kids at school and get whatever I need.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    You can get it at tsc...I believe it is in the with all the other medications for farm animals...if not, ask them. I bought mine at my local feed store so I'm not sure exactly where you will find it. You mix it in their water for 5 days. You don't need to provide anything else until they are finished. Then you can give them some yogurt or probiotics to help rebuild their healthy intestinal bacteria. It will depend on what kind, it comes in liquid or powder form, that you find as to what the dosage is. Once you find out, check back here for proper dosage!

8. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Okay, we don't have TSC here so I'll go to our local place and ask for it. I will definitely post as soon as I get it because I don't want to mess anything up!

9. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    And thanks so much for replying! I was getting worried but I really don't have anywhere else to go to ask questions about chickens.

10. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    HOW LONG has she been acting this way? Sometimes a chicken need more vitamins than the rest. I would isolate her, bring in the house where it is warm and she has access to sunshine. Try high protien [hard boiled eggs, mealworms,meat etc..] pediatlye or vitamin water and see what happens. Sometimes that is all that it is... Hope this helps. LOL

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by