is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmatt87, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i hold my chicks at least once a day so they get some bonding time and so they get used to being handled. 2 of them are pretty curious and active then they fall asleep on me. The others like to snuggle in and fall asleep as soon as i sit down with them.

is this normal?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They may be bunching up and sleeping because they are cold. Also know that no matter how often or how long you hold them that they will reach a teenage stage where they scatter like flies when you reach for them. It's strictly instinct and it will pass and eventually make a great tame adult bird.

3. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado

i didn't know that about the teenage stage.

our youngest chick is about a wk old. The other one is 3 wks and we also have five 6 weekers.

4. stephensc7146

stephensc7146 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    A lot of mine did that when they were just a few days old to about 2 and a half weeks old. Now they are 3 weeks and wont cuddle up in my hand. They only want to perch on my hand/arm, or be held against my chest. I have to hold them for a good while before they fall asleep on me. I think of them like I do puppies or kittens, they will be awake to know that I am holding them, but very shortly after, they go right to sleep, then they grow up and its harder to get them to cuddle up and sleep because they have more energy and want to play. :)

5. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    4 of mine like to perch, but if i rub their heads just right they fall asleep pretty quick. lol.
    the youngest one of them all just cheeps super loud if i take her out and away from the other chicks. She is not very social yet. haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by