Is this normal

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickarooo, Aug 28, 2013.

1. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    I have two twelve week old muscovie ducklings 1 male 1 female for some reason my male is a big boy and he seems to be lame when he waddles he limps and then after a few steps sits down then another few steps and he sits down again he dosen't really walk a lot unless he has to what do u think is wrong?

2. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    Someone please answer

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Usually my drakes start the laying down /walking stuff around 5-6 weeks old. but you may find supplementing with plain niacin or brewers yeast may help, he maybe deficient in vitamin b3, what are you feeding them? some chicken feeds don't have adequate amounts, it's kind of late for this to be happening though, do you think he may have injured himself some how? I'd still try the plain niacin or brewers yeast though if you don't think he has injured himself. 500 megs per 1 gallon of water usually if it a deficiency it begins to correct it self in a couple of days. I would check his legs and feet for swelling and hot spots which could mean infection though.

4. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    Well he does have very fat legs so they may be swollen. And I am feeding him starter but the next size up from crumble do they usually have fat legs? Or do u think I need to check them?

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drakes do have thick legs more so than the ducks for sure, but to make sure he isn't injured I'd check him out real good. also look under his feet to be sure no injuries on the bottoms. at 12 weeks they need to be on grower finisher or an all flock feed. you can mix the starter in with the other ones depending on what you decide but I would get them started on the feed for their age. that's one reason why I like Flock Raiser it can be fed from hatch till end.

6. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    Sorry I got my feeds mix up I use grower pellets and the ducks seem to love it do u have Muscovies? If u do is it true the drake grows up to the size of a goose

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes I have Muscovy's and no drakes don't get to the size of geese other than trough their body. My 2 oldest drakes are probably the size of my goose in body size but my gander is larger through the body. They still have duck legs though. [​IMG]

8. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    Are French Muscovies any different to Muscovies?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe they are produced for their succulent meat, [white bird white meat] larger than reg Muscovy's. larger table bird. other than that I don't think there is any difference. They are sure beautiful birds. I have 3 solid white Muscovies [not French whites] and I can say this about them they don't very seldom look white. we have had a lot of rain this year and it reflects on those white feathers just how much they like to be in the mud. [​IMG]

10. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    Well my little babies are French muscovy's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by