Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by han-kirk126, Feb 16, 2014.

1. han-kirk126

han-kirk126 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Hi, just to check if what my chickens are doing is normal!? They have all been put into a brand new coop with lots of room, perches, food, water etc. They all have a few scabs on their combs which im assuming is a result of establishing the pecking order. They have been together since Wednesday, how long does it usually take to establish who is top? Also one of the new chickens (prudence) seems to have become very attached to one of our original hens (elsey) and seems to groom her? Is this something that happens? As a result of them becoming 'bff's' the other new chicken keeps pecking elsey (original chicken). Gladice (one of our original) seems top as she seems to get to eat first, drink first - is all this normal? Thanks for your help guys

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    pecking order for my flock took a long time because of the different breeds I have, I noticed a big difference in a month.

do not know about your grooming question.

giving the top chicken room at the feed and water is a normal happening in my flock, less room if the others are really hungry.

3. han-kirk126

han-kirk126 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Thanks,ill see how the next few weeks go! Although I've had to remove the top hen as she has a blocked crop,so she is in solitary!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by