1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick345, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Chick345

Chick345 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    My chickens will not eat any type of greens. Is this normal?

~Eliana

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    How old are they? And were they barn raised or cage raised ( eg battery hens)

3. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    How old are they? If they are really young they won't start eating greens until they are much older.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Chick345

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    They are about 2-3 years old. They were barn raised. And actually they will eat grass just not things like lettuce and spinich

~Eliana

5. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    well chances are they aren't used to them, it can take a while, just leave them a few bits and pieces until they decide to be brave and try them

6. Chick345

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    Well I give them lettuce every two days and they don't eat it. I've had chickens for several years now and know a lot about them, but this has me stumped!

~Eliana

7. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    ive never come across a chicken who didn't like lettuce. that being said if they free range and have lots of grass they maynot be interested. Do they like fruits like bananas, apples, pears and grapes?

8. Chick345

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    Yes they crave grapes and bananas! Speaking of apples (they love those too) my mom told me that she read somewhere that if chickens eat apples they don't lay eggs often. Is this true? [​IMG]

~Eliana

9. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    That's an old wives tale, so no its not true. Other wise it could be said about humans as well lol. Have you tried them with mellons? mine love those, they eat the grapes first then the bananas, lettuce etc and they love mellons on a hot day especially

10. Chick345

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    Yes, my chickens love melons. Ok thanks about the apples, my family loves apples and I wanted to give my hens the cores. So when I was told that old wives tale I freaked out. [​IMG] Thanks again. I'll tell my mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by