Is this normal?

thewildbunch

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
We have been raising silkies for about 5 years now with no problems, but recently a few of them have been losing weight at an alarming rate. Our egg production also slowed almost to a stop. (4-6 eggs per day from almost 30 hens)

We have wormed them with Wazine and treated for coccidiosis with Corid. We still are seeing some unusual droppings (liquid carmel colored) in the yard and under the roosts. (I have included a photo) We've been told that this type of poop is "normal" on some other sites, but we're just not sure. If anyone has any insight, we sure would appreciate it.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Those are normal poops. Cecal poop. They are sticky and stinky. And yes, sometimes they do come out caramel color.

Here is a nice poop chart....http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

But as for loosing weight, the thing that comes to mind is worms. I would try something stronger than Wazine just in case. You might try some Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer. 1/2 cc for heavy weights, 1/4 cc for bantam types, once each day for 3 days. I find it very easy to get it into them by mixing the med in 1cc Gerber Baby Food. Peas is a good flavor. Then with a syringe without the needle, slowly squeeze this onto the center of the tongue.

Also, keep the hair around the eyes trimmed with Silkies. It can get so long that they can't see to eat or drink and I have even heard of Silkies wandering into ponds and drowning because they can't see.

You might also post this in our emergency section as well for more input...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get down to the bottom of this and get your birds back to good health soon.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Those droppings look like "normal" cecal droppings to me, for my flock. However, since they aren't usual for your flock, then yes, I don't think they are "normal." I would try to strengthen your birds' digestive tracts by giving them some probiotics (or plain yogurt) and some chicken vitamins/electrolytes. I would also worm them again, with a broad-spectrum wormer. Wazine only kills roundworms. Better wormer choices are SafeGuard or Valbazen.

Also, I would definitely stop feeding them just scratch. If the pellets seem too large, then I would see if you can find some crumbles.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Chickens pass about 4 or 5 cecal poops a day. You may just be seeing them more now that you are using sand.

When you switch over to something new like new sand, you may get lots of diarrhea at first. I use sand in my coop and run as well and every fall I reload the areas with new sand. Because this dirt is new and contains bacteria's they have not been exposed to, they can get diarrhea for 10 days or so after I add the new sand. Chickens become immune to their environment. Adding new sand is like moving them to new ground. So they have to develop new immunity to this new soil.

And yes as stated above, if these cecal poops have never been this color before it could be an issue. Keep an eye on the poop for a while and monitor the colors. I offer up probiotics several times a week to my birds water. 70% of the immune system is in the intestines. Bad pathogens can't survive in oxygenated areas of good bacteria. So by adding probiotics, you are not only assisting in stopping these pathogens from taking hold, but strengthening the immune system for the entire bird.

I would get them on a good feed that contains all the vitamins and minerals needed for good health. A seed only diet lacks so many things and is high in fat. It can lead to fatty liver and heart disease.

Last edited:
Not healthy poop, no. 'Normal' encompasses a whole lot of ill health people accept as 'good enough'.

My guess is it's something impacting the liver, possibly, but I'm not 100% sure, never had poops like that to deal with. Well, basically no matter what it is it's likely to impact the liver. Kinda useless guess, lol!

Best wishes.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Those are normal poops. Cecal poop. They are sticky and stinky. And yes, sometimes they do come out caramel color.

Here is a nice poop chart....http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

But as for loosing weight, the thing that comes to mind is worms. I would try something stronger than Wazine just in case. You might try some Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer. 1/2 cc for heavy weights, 1/4 cc for bantam types, once each day for 3 days. I find it very easy to get it into them by mixing the med in 1cc Gerber Baby Food. Peas is a good flavor. Then with a syringe without the needle, slowly squeeze this onto the center of the tongue.

Also, keep the hair around the eyes trimmed with Silkies. It can get so long that they can't see to eat or drink and I have even heard of Silkies wandering into ponds and drowning because they can't see.

You might also post this in our emergency section as well for more input...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get down to the bottom of this and get your birds back to good health soon.
Thanks for the poop chart!!! so funny but good to keep in mind! thanks :eek:)

We have been raising silkies for about 5 years now with no problems, but recently a few of them have been losing weight at an alarming rate. Our egg production also slowed almost to a stop. (4-6 eggs per day from almost 30 hens)

We have wormed them with Wazine and treated for coccidiosis with Corid. We still are seeing some unusual droppings (liquid carmel colored) in the yard and under the roosts. (I have included a photo) We've been told that this type of poop is "normal" on some other sites, but we're just not sure. If anyone has any insight, we sure would appreciate it.
Welcome!!! happy to see someone had a poop chart for you (and me!) haha

The fact that they're unusual poops for your flock to produce, and are accompanied by your chooks losing weight and slowing production, is probably not a coincidence.

The vast majority of all poultry deaths are due to digestive system disease, specifically involving the liver, due to the diets they're kept on; it's not a coincidence that many flocks never have 'cecal poops', only healthy black and white ones, whereas other flock owners accept these sickly, stinking poops as normal.

As I said before, 'normal' encompasses many states of poor health generally considered 'good enough'.

Each to their own.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom