Is this Normal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lking1213, Nov 15, 2014.

1. lking1213

lking1213 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Linton, IN
    I have three RIR's they won't sleep in their coop at night....I wasn't worried in the summer, but it's getting pretty cold here at night. I'm talking overnight Temps in the low 20's high teens. They sleep together on top of their coop. Should I be worried, their enclosure is well protected.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Perhaps you can post a photo or two of your setup and we can help you identify reasons they may be reluctant to enter the coop. Do they go in and out of it during the day at all?

3. lking1213

Jul 20, 2014
    Linton, IN
    Yes, they sleep in it during the day, and are in and out of it all day....they lay their eggs in the nesting boxes and I keep it clean. I even tried to put their food inside to try to keep them on there. I guess I can force them in at night. I just didn't want to do that. They love being outside.

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Have you tried putting them to bed at night? My new girls always have a habit of sleeping in the run. They go in and out during the day, though. I let them sleep where they please until it gets cold. With each set of new chickens I go out right at dark and put them into the coop and block the door until morning. After a night or two they start going in on their own. I've done this with 3 sets of chickens and I fully expect to have to do this every time I raise new chicks. So far its has worked fine.

5. lking1213

Jul 20, 2014
    Linton, IN
    I have tried that to and the next morning they squawk at me and they won't go near the coop for days. That's before they started laying eggs. That's why I don't want to force them if I don't have to. I'm afraid if I force them I'll start finding eggs in their run. It seems the colder it gets the more they like it.

6. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    That's a new one on me. I'm with Ol Grey Mare on this one. We need some coop pics. Are they the only chickens you have or are there others that do sleep in the coop?

7. lking1213

Jul 20, 2014
    Linton, IN
    They are the only three we have. I'll see if I can post some pictures. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by