1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this OK? Broody hen pen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Catalina, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Does this look Ok for a broody hen pen?

Any ideas or tips?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's in my garage and I'm a little worried Lavender will be too cold.
    The light comes on from 8am to 8pm.

Now that I've moved her, she's much more into her Zen broodiness.
    She hasn't pooped yet. I moved her last night.
    She ate about 8 raisins and I made her drink some water.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks very nice. Only problem I can see is the threshold. Needs to be lower so chicks can come and go with the hen. She`l want to take them back in there at night.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Oh wow that looks great. Good job that will also be a nice place to let her raise her babies untill they get a bit bigger. Awesome job. [​IMG]

5. Catalina

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Quote:Ah ha! Thank you! I'll add some more shavings, so they can get over the lip both ways.

Hopefully, some chicks will hatch [​IMG] Right now she's sitting on golfballs, until the eggs arrive.

6. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Try to take her off the nest and place her with the food and water and she should take a gigantic poo for you.

Also you can make a little wooden ramp for the outside of the kennel because the shavings could get accidently kicked away and maybe some babies may not make it back in. You simply get a piece of long narrow board and nail or screw a small peice of scrap wood at one end. This little piece will then become the lip on the bottom side of the board that will hold it onto the kennel edge.

Garage should be warm enough since she has all her down coat under her feathers, it IS a garage, right? Not a carport? It is enclosed?

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I like it! What a nice broody pen. Great job!! Enjoy the new babies when they arrive. [​IMG]

8. Catalina

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Quote:Yup! Insulated garage, but not heated. It's attached to my house, so I can look out of my kitchen door and into her pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by