is this ok for our chickens??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by layalittleeggfo, Mar 14, 2013.

1. layalittleeggfo

layalittleeggfo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    we are unsure about usein gpoison incase the chickens get hold of it, or if the rat decides to meet his maker within the chicken coop and eats the rat before we get to it so ....................

this works by emitting high frequency sound waves, that will irratate the rats and eventually drive them out, but would it be k to use with our chickens

any help would be great

[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I have use it once before and my chickens were fine. But to tell you the truth it didnt get rid of mice. they were under the coop, so dont know if the sounds blocks it.

3. layalittleeggfo

Oct 20, 2012
    i know it wont kill the rats but it will at least keep them out of the garden which is what we want as we are scared of the chickens eating comtaminated dead rats,

just now its been atcually inside the coop which we had not seen before, we have only seen them near the pond which was close enough, but now its atcually been in the coop and run, i dont want it having a pop at the chooks now

i have plugged it in now, but think we are going to have to also do something else too

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

This is a great mouse trap, just made one last week....it just keeps on catching them!! Emptied 4 out of it today from the garage and moved it to another outbuilding. I used windshield washer fluid to keep water form freezing...or you could use RV antifreeze as it's not toxic.
    Might need a bigger version than the 5 gallon for a rat, maybe a 30 gal garbage can?

5. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I agree, I've used this as well. Try using a 30 gal. garbage can filled 1/4 maybe 1/3 of the way with water, and assemble the same as on video. Also have to say to keep kids, small animals dogs, cats, chickens,etc away as this would be a danger to them. We put ours in the garage, attic and crawl space. No small animals/kids were in those areas, other than the stinking mice. Caught a total of 7 and haven't had anymore for almost a week.

Deb

6. layalittleeggfo

Oct 20, 2012
    The sounfwave machine is plugged in near the chooks, myself and sis were on looking for the rats in the dark, and saw where they were nesting, and yet again its the neighbour at the back they are well est under his large shed. And not bothered by the fact me and sis were stood at the front of their doorway if you like, just there staring at us, could hear loads od lil squeeks so its a group of them not just a rogue rat. We also got some snap rat traps, and will be poison baiting under his shed!!!! Its not something we want to do but when it comes down to the safety of our chooks and the health of ourselves rats loose!!! Thanks for the vid we have a large barrel in going to attempt to make one of the today and hopefully get it out in the garden tonight. Also heard rats dont like wire wool so going to plug all holes near the chooks up with that then re-slab over the top.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You might not want to use poison, could kill other animals including your chooks.

8. layalittleeggfo

Oct 20, 2012
    Well to start with we didnt want too but its looking like we have no other choice. The rats are out smarting the snap traps. All 4 traps triggered but not a single rat cought, just a tad of blood on the base of a trap, not seen then in 2 days but the dogs just chased on in the front garden now. We sre going to have to poision bait under the neighbours shed where they are living

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Put the bait end of the trap against a wall or other flat surface, makes it harder for them to steal the bait.

10. layalittleeggfo

Oct 20, 2012
    They are all against walls, someone may have ready been dealing with them, as the traps habe not been triggered ot bait touched in a few days, also not seen any rats for afew days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by