is this OK? is it cute.

chicchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Eastern Massachusetts
My 4 mixed pullets are almost 4 mos old. They are very very sociable. I like to eat my lunch or breakfast in the garden and they gather around. I'll toss the scraps. Sometimes the two bossier ones will peck at my shoes or knees, but they don't hurt me. Is this bad chicken manners???? It is really cute. Should I discourage it? The boss lady - Rhode Island White - will sit on the chair arm with me and watch me eat. Also, they follow me around the garden, meet me at the door and try to go with me when I leave the gate. I did just lose my Corgi (14.5 yrs.)and these young ladies are sort of the dog replacement.
I just noticed yesterday that the NN and the RIW squat down when I pet them. I gather that means they are close to laying?

Yes, squatting means they are close to laying. It is submission to the rooster (you) for mating.

Mine occasionally peck at something on me, but I don't encourage it. Sometimes it can hurt.

I hand feed mine all the time and their pecking, whilst cute sometimes does occasionally hurt. They like to come up from behind me and sneek a peck in here and there just to let me know they are there. they're funny! :–)

So sorry about the loss of your corgi. Lost my Wicket at 15 years old and it took over a year before I replaced her. Willow came three years ago and I don't know how I managed without a corgi for so long. They really can wind around your heart.

I haven't made my chickens into pets, though with only four, I can understand why you might. Mine do, however, come running at mealtime. I can tell you that a full grown chicken pecking at your feet and knees can be PAINFUL (I've learned never to wear flip flops when feeding). Also, watch when at face level ... they can find eyes interesting enough to peck at.

When I go out and feed my girls scraps and chicken goodies, I call them my Velociraptors. If they peck hard or use poor manners, I let them know it by squawking and using some type of large motor movement (not making contact with the birds, just imitating their reactions to each other when someone gets too pushy).
D.gif
Typically they scatter a bit and come back a little more well behaved. In our pecking order, I'm top bird. Believe it or not, they get it. That said, I realize that if I were to be knocked unconscious out there, they'd eat me in a heartbeat.
sickbyc.gif

I was loving on one of my Lt. Brahma chicks the other day and had it nuzzled under my chin. It latched onto a freckle and tried to rip it off my chest. It hurt a little but it was funny. I called it a "turkey" and back in the brooder it went lol.

My hens like my teeth, and freckles are just wonderful!! It hurts though! A few will squat down when being pet, I was surprised to learn that they are close to laying.

Always great info on this site!

I had a hen a few years ago that followed me around the yard. Once I squatted down and she jumped on my shoulder and pecked the DIAMOND earring out of my ear!!!! AHH!

It is cute but can be very painful. I have one barred rock that has decided I'm the best thing ever and if I'm not paying attention to her she jumps up and pecks me. At first I didn't mind because she just jumped into my arms. Startled me the first few times she did it but I got used to it. After she'd filled out a bit more and couldn't fly enough to reach my arms from the ground, she figured out if she pecked my foot or calf, I'd bend down to rub it thus making it easier for her to fly up on my back. Sigh, the last time she did it about a week ago, I was collecting eggs and she pecked my calf. When I shoed her away without bending down she retreated a bit then came back and pecked hard on my arm. Almost drew blood, she got thrust away from me at that point across the coop pretty fast. I think she finally got the message but she still eyes me like she just desperately needs my attention. I make sure I can see her at all times just in case.

Long story short, probably she wouldn't be so bad if I'd stopped it earlier.

So sorry about the loss of your corgi. I lost my first corgi about 5 years ago and I still cry when I think about him. He was my heart dog. My two Partridge Rocks always peck at my feet and pants. Then the Australorps join in for good measure. I've started pushing them away because they do it all the time and I don't want them hurting my three year old granddaughter. I think anything that appears as if it may be a problem down the line should be stopped as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom