Is this ok? Lots of blood...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechxwhisperer, Feb 14, 2015.

1. thechxwhisperer

thechxwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    Had to help this chick a little, now it seems to be getting the hang of it... But is all this blood normal or ok?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. calichicken

calichicken Chillin' With My Peeps

When you assist you need to make sure that the chick has absorbed the yolk and veins, so I'm worried that your chick has not yet...which is why you are seeing the blood? Not normal for a hatch as far as I know or have experienced so far

3. thechxwhisperer

thechxwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    Will the chick be okay do you think? She is coming out slowly and chirping...

4. calichicken

If she is working onn getting out and you hear cheeping I would think everything is ok. I wouldn't assist any more if possible and let this baby make it out. Has the bleeding stopped or does it seem to be pooling inside?

5. calichicken

@Lacrystol may be a good resource for you to answer your questions? Also assisted hatching 101 on the information section of BYC

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That blood is not normal, it's not ready what made you have to help??

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    You peaked off the first and second membrane, would have been ok if just the first membrane but now you have to worry about that blood drying up on her..

8. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I did this to ducklings! They didn't have the yolk fully absorbed and I freaked out. I removed the top but if the yolk is still out leave it attached and keep It moisturized with warm water. Soon the yolk will be sucked in, in a few days then the chick will be lively and as its supposed to. This happened with three different ducklings and all of them survived

9. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep the bottom part of the shell attached

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I still don't understand why they even needed to be help looks like they are doing it just fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by