Is this OK to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sixgirls, May 4, 2009.

1. sixgirls

sixgirls New Egg

May 1, 2009
    A month ago I got 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Astrolorp, and 2 Americaunas. Today they have Silkie Bantams coming into the chicken store. I'd love to get one or two but I don't know if it'll be an issue 1) putting Bantams with Laying Hens and also 2) Putting in a new tiny chick with 6 week old chicks.

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?

Thank you!

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    bantams in with standards is usually not a problem, however i would wait awhile before mixing the two (because of age, not size). if they are a week apart it isn't too much of a problem, but six weeks is a little much.

3. sixgirls

sixgirls New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Thanks for the quick response. So would the Silkie need it's own setup? (Lamp, Box, Feeder, Waterer?)

4. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    yes, i would go ahead and get another box, feeder, waterer and lamp. although the standards might not need the lamp anymore if it's kind of warm where you are from and they are almost fully feathered or completely feathered. they might be ready to go outside in the coop.

you'll be able to put them together when they are older!

i have a two bantams in with my small flock of standards and we're currently raising a sebright bantam and a standard RIR together who are inseparable. so bantams and standards do just fine together!

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    ditto....I agree with noitulover [​IMG]

Well said! [​IMG]

6. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    I have 3 bantys in with my reg. size pullets. (Well their the same age...)

But because of age maybe not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by