Is this ok.........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sebrite_97, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sebrite_97

Sebrite_97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Hi. I would like to know if my sebrites will be able to take a new flock member of a new speicies. the species is either the Black Cochin bantam, or a Blue Silkie bantam. will sebrites welcome or shun them?I also wanna know if my sebrite rooster will inter-breed with them. any input on that? im tryin to use them to sit on the eggs. ( Sebrites are notoriously bad brooders.) [​IMG]

2. HollyTree

HollyTree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    My experience (which isn't a whole lot) is that you really don't know until you try. I've had no problem introducing young ones to the older ones or different breeds mixing. Be prepared for pecking order to happen. Yes, that rooster will try to breed them, they're hens and he's a roo. Good luck!

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sebrights (correct spelling) are not notorious bad brooders. I've heard many people have success with them. I've heard people have bad experiences with cochins but people still use them anyway. Just give them a chance. If you want another breed, then go ahead and try. Sebrights can be cocky, so just watch for anything. As long as there is no blood, I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by