Is this OK?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BayouGypsy, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BayouGypsy

BayouGypsy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Our chickens live in the side yard with our dog. As soon as we open the coop to let them out in the mornings, the roosters go straight for the dog's food bowl and eat her food. The dog doesn't seem to mind, but I'm just wondering if it is OK.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    They may need more protein. I'm not sure if it will hurt them or not, though.

3. BayouGypsy

BayouGypsy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Well, I was wondering about that, but they are still on the Starter feed. We are transitioning over to the next feed as soon as the bin is empty. They also free range.

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I've had chickens that would eat the cat's food before they even thought of their own. It's not bad for them, but it's waaaay more expensive than chicken feed, and it's coming out of your pocket.

I might be thinking about what they're tracking through the dog's bowl, though. . . .[​IMG]

5. silkiesandbuffs

silkiesandbuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    I hope someone with more knowledge than me can help because I am still new to chickens myself. I do believe that you need to make sure that they do not get too much protein though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by