Is this OK?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shannon33, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I bought an incubator because someone told me hens will not brood until they are a year old. For this same reason, I had no nest boxes or anything set up yet. Anyway, a week after I bought my incubator, one of the hens starting sitting on some eggs. I peeked and she had 11 of them. I just let her be, but I noticed I wasn't seeing very many eggs around so today I looked into the coop and two hens were sitting together on the eggs. I moved them to see, and they had 31 eggs (yes 31). Tonight I went out and candled them and of the 31, 20 are developing, but they look like some are in different stages of development. I left the 20 there, but will they be OK with hatching at different times, and two hens sitting on them? Is there anything I should do?

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I'd leave them be for now. When it gets to hatching time for the ones furthest along, if it's more than a couple of days until the others hatch, they may not keep sitting. If that is so, keep a close watch for it, and you can finish them in your incubator.

3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hey your pretty close to me just over in gloucester! only a few hours.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Just wonder who told you that hens don't go broody for the first year?

I currently have a broody on her second clutch and a second hen who has just hatched her third clutch and both are under a year old.\\

Your incubator will come in handy anyway!

good luck for the hatches!

Sandie

5. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Ok, thank you! I guess I will leave it for now and see how it goes.
    Hey Solarquail, that is pretty close:) If you ever need silkies looks like I will be overrun soon, lol.
    Pg, it was just some customer I was chatting with at the feed store who told me that. It's my own fault for not reading up on it, but when you are new to chickens and someone says "Oh, I've been raising them for years" you just kind of take their word for it, lol.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Shannon

I have 3 broodies right now and 2 are 1st timers. I have a Red Star and an EE that are sharing a nest of eggs. I keep seperating them but they keep moving the eggs back together and it is kinda of funny to watch them steal the eggs from the other hen sitting right beside her. It must be a game because one time one has them and then the next time the other has them. lol

good Luck with your hatch

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am so amazed at how well they can transport eggs around!! Heck, mine can move the golf balls... but those have dimples in 'em.

When my BO went broody, folk here on BYC warned me to check daily and remove any extra eggs she stole and/or the other gals laid in her nest while she was up on her food & potty break. And to MARK the eggs staying in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by