Is this ok

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Easter eggers, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Every morning I go into the coop I see feathers every where is that ok?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That depends on how old they are? If they are molting? If they are pulling each others feathers out. We need more info. [​IMG]

3. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    They are 14 weeks old and there are 4 but their not molting

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Mine are just a bit older and I find stray feathers all the time. They can really accumulate if I don't clean out the coop every few days too! So from my experience (which isn't saying much) [​IMG]I would say they are fine

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They are at the age that they are going thru their first molt. They will replace all the feathers they just grew til they are about 4 or 5 months old. Wait, it gets worse! [​IMG]

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I have 5 BCM pullets in a quarantine pen (they are now 19 weeks), you should see the feathers everywhere. We had a fox acting strange in our yard one night, so my brother was roaming with a flashlight and gun, when he went past that pen he first thought the fox had been in there because of the feathers! They do shed a lot as they grow, I'd be more worried if you saw big bald spots on the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by