Is this okay to give my dehydrated chicken?

EastCoastchickenlover

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
Basically I've been asking on here about what to do for a sick chicken I have..I know she's dehydrated and was just wondering if this will be okay to give her to help get her rehydrated? I can pick up some gatorade but I've read mixed reviews about giving chickens gatorade. She's 6-7 months old if that helps.

I found this online its a homemade electrolyte recipe:

1 cup of warm water

2 teaspoons molasses or 2 teaspoons granulatd sugar

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/8 teaspoon of baking soda

1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride(optional)

any help would be appreciated? Would that hurt her or would it be okay? I've opened another thread describing her symptoms but I'm not 100% sure what's wrong yet.

casportpony

🦆🦚Enlightened🦚🦆
Project manager
Premium member
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
Welcome to BYC, sorry your chicken isn't feeling well. When I give mine fluids I give them Pedialyte, Gatorade, or plain water. How are you going to give her fluids?

EastCoastchickenlover

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
Welcome to BYC, sorry your chicken isn't feeling well. When I give mine fluids I give them Pedialyte, Gatorade, or plain water. How are you going to give her fluids?
It may be OK but dehydration is not necessarily a need for electrolytes. It is a need for plain water.
I've been trying to give her water several times a day. Its just that there's a possibility she may have botulism or had ingested some other toxin(we don't know exactly what's wrong yet and every vet I've called anywhere near me says they won't see a chicken)I was told a fush might help, and I was thinking I may need to try amollasses flush but wouldn't I need to replace electrolytes after, or just plain water is enough?

EastCoastchickenlover

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
I've been giving her water from a dropper to give her a little bit of water at a time at the front of her beak for her to swallow.

casportpony

🦆🦚Enlightened🦚🦆
Project manager
Premium member
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
I've been giving her water from a dropper to give her a little bit of water at a time at the front of her beak for her to swallow.
That's not enough, she needs at least 5% of her body weight per day, more if she has diarrhea and is already dehydrated. Would you like to learn how to tube fluids?

EastCoastchickenlover

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
That's not enough, she needs at least 5% of her body weight per day, more if she has diarrhea and is already dehydrated. Would you like to learn how to tube fluids?
I don't mind the work but am terrified I'll hurt or kill her. I've been using a dropper (holds about 1mL), and she had about 12 of those today. She swallows it well when I put it in the front of her beak, but she won't take it by herself from a waterer and seems incredibly weak. How many of those droppers do you think she should have a day?

EastCoastchickenlover

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
How much does she weigh?
I haven't weighed her because of how much tries to fight me when I pick her up. She's a Rhode Island Red (possibly mix) pullet, about 6-7 months old, but she recently lost a bit of weight within the past few days since she hasn't wanted to eat or drink right. An estimate would be a few pounds.

casportpony

🦆🦚Enlightened🦚🦆
Project manager
Premium member
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't weighed her because of how much tries to fight me when I pick her up. She's a Rhode Island Red (possibly mix) pullet, about 6-7 months old, but she recently lost a bit of weight within the past few days since she hasn't wanted to eat or drink right. An estimate would be a few pounds.
If she weighs 3 pounds she needs no less than 70 ml per day.

Top Bottom