Is this okay to give my dehydrated chicken?

EastCoastchickenlover

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
Basically I've been asking on here about what to do for a sick chicken I have..I know she's dehydrated and was just wondering if this will be okay to give her to help get her rehydrated? I can pick up some gatorade but I've read mixed reviews about giving chickens gatorade. She's 6-7 months old if that helps.

I found this online its a homemade electrolyte recipe:

1 cup of warm water

2 teaspoons molasses or 2 teaspoons granulatd sugar

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/8 teaspoon of baking soda

1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride(optional)

any help would be appreciated? Would that hurt her or would it be okay? I've opened another thread describing her symptoms but I'm not 100% sure what's wrong yet.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your chicken isn't feeling well. When I give mine fluids I give them Pedialyte, Gatorade, or plain water. How are you going to give her fluids?

Welcome to BYC, sorry your chicken isn't feeling well. When I give mine fluids I give them Pedialyte, Gatorade, or plain water. How are you going to give her fluids?
It may be OK but dehydration is not necessarily a need for electrolytes. It is a need for plain water.
I've been trying to give her water several times a day. Its just that there's a possibility she may have botulism or had ingested some other toxin(we don't know exactly what's wrong yet and every vet I've called anywhere near me says they won't see a chicken)I was told a fush might help, and I was thinking I may need to try amollasses flush but wouldn't I need to replace electrolytes after, or just plain water is enough?

I've been giving her water from a dropper to give her a little bit of water at a time at the front of her beak for her to swallow.

I've been giving her water from a dropper to give her a little bit of water at a time at the front of her beak for her to swallow.
That's not enough, she needs at least 5% of her body weight per day, more if she has diarrhea and is already dehydrated. Would you like to learn how to tube fluids?

That's not enough, she needs at least 5% of her body weight per day, more if she has diarrhea and is already dehydrated. Would you like to learn how to tube fluids?
I don't mind the work but am terrified I'll hurt or kill her. I've been using a dropper (holds about 1mL), and she had about 12 of those today. She swallows it well when I put it in the front of her beak, but she won't take it by herself from a waterer and seems incredibly weak. How many of those droppers do you think she should have a day?

How much does she weigh?
I haven't weighed her because of how much tries to fight me when I pick her up. She's a Rhode Island Red (possibly mix) pullet, about 6-7 months old, but she recently lost a bit of weight within the past few days since she hasn't wanted to eat or drink right. An estimate would be a few pounds.

I haven't weighed her because of how much tries to fight me when I pick her up. She's a Rhode Island Red (possibly mix) pullet, about 6-7 months old, but she recently lost a bit of weight within the past few days since she hasn't wanted to eat or drink right. An estimate would be a few pounds.
If she weighs 3 pounds she needs no less than 70 ml per day.

Back
Top Bottom